Well summer is going to be here before you know it and it’s almost time to pack up your swimming suit, sunblock and hat in preparation for your favorite summer camp. To make it through camp, you’ll need to work on embracing the unknown, making friends, and stepping out of your comfort zone. If you make an effort to have a good time, you’ll be wishing you could stay at camp all year long before you know it.
Here are a few tips and tricks that we think may help:
- If you’re going away for summer camp and worried about being homesick, you may want to bring a cell phone, lap top or way to keep in touch with your family. You may also want to pack a couple things that remind you of home. That could be your comfy pillow, favorite blanket or a photo album/journal.
- Bring extra snacks! It would be a nightmare if you went to camp and hated everything prepared in the mess hall. Camp would take a quick turn for the worst if you end up hungry and angry, aka H-A-N-G-R-Y.
- Don’t forget extra batteries for your flashlight. I know there’s nothing worse than trying to navigate an outhouse in the middle of the night. That’s just asking for one very memorable, embarrassing, life altering experience.
- Make sure you have a first aid kit and all the necessary things to keep you safe. That could include any medications you need, puffers, inhalers or an EpiPen. Your camp counselor needs to know where these things are located and what needs to happen if an incident were to occur.
- Bring comfy shoes and lots of extra clothes. Being at camp, you’re likely to be doing tons of outdoor adventuring, hiking, swimming, games and sports.
- Wear sunscreen! No one wants to spend a week at camp with a sunburn.